Feb 23 2010

Can we have Spring now, please?

Published by Ree at 3:32 am under Travel

Last night, Mr. Hot said to me, “Have you printed off your boarding pass?” I told him no, that I planned on printing it at the airport.

I’ve never known you to do that before.

No reply was necessary, because he – as usual – was right.

You’re banking on the flight being cancelled, aren’t you?

Well, yes, I was.

And when my phone rang at 12:30 am, a mere two hours after I’d fallen asleep, I was convinced it was American Airlines calling me to tell me that, indeed, my flight was cancelled.

It was a wrong number.

I tossed and turned for another hour or so, and then I guess I fell asleep because the next thing I knew, the alarm was going off. Four o’clock. Woo-fucking-hoo.

I looked outside and saw WHITE. The snow had arrived. All of the melted areas that I had so gleefully stared at all weekend – when the temps hit the upper 40s – were gone. The driveway was covered. When I let the dog out and flipped on the outside light, the beam barely cut through the blizzard that was raining down.

I checked again for an email – something that would give me the excuse I needed to crawl back under the covers for another hour or two – but again, no.

Sigh.

Instead of getting into the car at 5:30, we left at 5. No tracks on our street. One set of tires had driven down the road we take out to town. Pulling onto U.S. 12, we found the going a bit easier, but still, I hung onto the edge of my seat and mumbled profanities at the idiot who felt the need to tailgate us all the way out to I-94.

(It wasn’t evil that I laughed when we saw that same idiot spin into a circle and nearly end up in a ditch when he decided to pass us on the right, was it? I didn’t think so.)

After 40 more white-knuckled minutes on the road, I was deposited at the terminal. Extracting a promise that he would CALL ME when he made it home, I made my way through security and to my gate. Forty minutes later, he called to say he’d made it. That’s when I started breathing again.

Then I looked out the window and saw this:

The crew was an hour late because they couldn’t make it in from their hotel. Another hour went by before we were de-iced. Thirty more minutes to sit in line (and I wondered if we’d have to be de-iced AGAIN) and wait for a runway to clear.

—- Did I mention that when I took my scarf off to go through security, it was tangled in my wig and I pulled my hair off? Oh hell yea. What an awesome morning. —-

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [Facebook] [Technorati] [Google] [StumbleUpon] add to kirtsyAjax CommentLuv Enabled 3ffa54da9abe041067d6629d568410a5

18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Can we have Spring now, please?”

1. Jenny/Boxeron 23 Feb 2010 at 4:56 am

First, any one living in the Mid West is tough about the snow. Here in the PNW, the entire city would be shut down. I’m not sure what’s correct? Shutting down or white knuckling?

Me? I would have stayed home. But I”m all whimpy and schizz and you?

You’re not!
    Jenny/Boxer´s last blog ..Not Mute Monday My ComLuv Profile

2. Mrs. Ohon 23 Feb 2010 at 4:58 am

Crikey Ree! If ever there was a day to call in with a good case of anal glaucoma – this was it! *hugs*
    Mrs. Oh´s last blog ..The Mom version of a tie… My ComLuv Profile

3. Lyvvieon 23 Feb 2010 at 6:53 am

You brave, brave girl. I suppose they could say you weren’t concealing anything under your wig. Does that happen often?
    Lyvvie´s last blog ..After a few drinks I’m free to explain… My ComLuv Profile

4. Krissaon 23 Feb 2010 at 7:29 am

Bless your heart! All mornings like that should, by law, be canceled.
    I’m calling my state representative immediately. ;-)
    Krissa´s last blog ..HalfAsstic-Where necessary appliances, (the ones you can’t live without), come to die. My ComLuv Profile

5. Marylinon 23 Feb 2010 at 9:19 am

Jeez, I think I’d have taken a sicky if the weather was like that tbh!
    Marylin´s last blog ..A photo I’m actually happy with! My ComLuv Profile

6. Shellyon 23 Feb 2010 at 2:12 pm

Oh dude! That is too, too much! Here in the South, we shut the hell down for snow like that. You wouldn’t even have to think twice, that flight would have CANCELLED!
    Shelly´s last blog ..Never Say Your Life is Too Boring… My ComLuv Profile

7. Liz J in Central Illinoison 23 Feb 2010 at 3:03 pm

We dodged a bullet here in Central Illinois this past weekend – - we ended up with all rain and temps around 40. But I saw all that crap heading north toward Chicago and on your way in Michigan, and I was wondering if you would make it to Illinois or not. Glad you finally made it safe and sound!
    Liz J in Central Illinois´s last blog ..Grace In Small Things: 8/2010 My ComLuv Profile

8. Theresaon 23 Feb 2010 at 3:15 pm

wait . . . you wear a wig???

9. green girl in Wisconsinon 23 Feb 2010 at 4:08 pm

Oh, but to SEE your tailgater spin out? That must have taken a lot of the anger out of your system! Karma, baby!
    green girl in Wisconsin´s last blog ..it’s aliiiiiiiiiive! My ComLuv Profile

10. Jennyon 23 Feb 2010 at 6:07 pm

I’m surprised you weren’t canceled. And your hair coming off not funny but kinda :-) . Cause you gotta just laugh when all things are working against ya.

11. monstergirleeon 23 Feb 2010 at 6:20 pm

Well I am very glad that you made it safely.
    I totally understand the hate to see snow again feeling. Seems every year there’s a teaser week or so that you think spring will be there early. But no, they’re just f’ing with you.
    monstergirlee´s last blog ..See-Saw or Teeter-Totter? My ComLuv Profile

12. Kristabellaon 23 Feb 2010 at 7:40 pm

Dude, I FEEL your pain. I was hoping for a snow day yesterday, or at least enough to let me work from home. Not the case.

But I’m sorry, you have to laugh at your scarf pulling your wig off.
    Kristabella´s last blog ..Crazy Biker Magnet My ComLuv Profile

13. Red Hamsteron 23 Feb 2010 at 9:32 pm

I’m so with you on having Spring! I swear every year that the winter season in the Midwest is getting longer.

I can’t believe they spent all that time on one plane and actually went through with the flight. I cannot figure out airline flight decisions! And de-icing? Went through that once – while I was sitting IN the plane – Never.Again.
    Red Hamster´s last blog ..BTW, Happy Valentine’s Day! My ComLuv Profile

14. Kelon 24 Feb 2010 at 1:57 am

Me too! I am so ready for this bleak gray weather to do away already…I got so excited when the weekend came with nice temps until the rains came and the temps dropped. I’m seriously considering moving to some island somewhere near the equator just so I don’t have to see this snow stuff again! ;)
    ~K

15. Amberon 24 Feb 2010 at 4:56 am

Oh no! What a way to start off the week. Spring will come and things will get better.

16. Angelon 24 Feb 2010 at 4:32 pm

It takes an awful lot to shut down Chicago:) LOL! Where in the city are you again? I was just up in Lincoln Park and Andersonville this past weekend with my family.
    Angel´s last blog ..An important message about emoticons and acronyms. They aren’t just teen lingo anymore people. My ComLuv Profile

17. Fannieon 25 Feb 2010 at 2:26 am

Look for the Saint – he flew up there this AM at O’dark hundred and 8 degree temps! ;)
    Fannie´s last blog ..Overheard My ComLuv Profile

18. jeanieon 25 Feb 2010 at 2:42 am

Man, I feel the cold through your photo… V had the rain answer his request this morning for that extra hour’s sleep.
    jeanie´s last blog ..Calling Upon Minions to Fluff the Fur My ComLuv Profile