Mar 22 2010

The Great Rollercoaster Ride

Published by Ree at 7:49 pm under Real Life

Every day brings a new high and a new low. The highs are breathtaking and exhilarating. The lows make me want to curl up in a ball and stick my thumb in my mouth while I rock back and forth. Things that seemed in control spiral out and around; spinning with increasing speed.

We found our new home. The neighborhood is fun and friendly – within walking distance to parks and transportation. Diversity and culture will surround us. New and shiny – old and interesting…it’s all within reach. We love it and can’t wait until the day we get the keys and start spending every night together; sleeping with limbs curled around limbs, dog and cats finding spaces between legs and on heads. Holding hands as we explore old parts of Chicago in the summer.

And yet.

Every time another inspector visits the old house, the one that we’ve lived in for a mere four years, we find out that we have to pay for this, pay for that. Each visit brings another two inspectors to check this, check that. In today’s market, our house is worth 55% of what we paid for it in 2006. A new driveway and new gutters? Hours spent landscaping, planting and pruning? Insulating and finishing the garage? Worth nothing.

1972. That’s when the house was built. Thirty-eight years. It’s not so long, really. Modern plumbing and all of the conveniences had been invented. Apparently normal wear and tear are no longer “normal”.

It’s become a joke. How much more money can we throw down this seeming bottomless pit? If we get a handful of twenties and toss them towards the inspectors when they come over, can we leave? Can we pack up and move to our new life? Will it take fifties? Hundreds?

Oh yes.

The other day, we were walking the dog and I found a dollar bill. Were I a person who believes in signs, I’d believe that the dollar was lost specifically so I would understand that throwing money around was going to become a way of life. We wake up in the middle of the night and will our brains to shut.the.fuck.up. Stress and sleeplessness is the current way of life.

We laugh (although the laughter seems to have a slightly hysterical undertone) because it does no good to cry. We have to do this. We need to live our lives together again – and the only way we can do that is to get through this.

—- In the meantime, I close my eyes, hang on tight, and try not to puke. —-

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [Facebook] [Technorati] [Google] [StumbleUpon] add to kirtsyAjax CommentLuv Enabled 3ffa54da9abe041067d6629d568410a5

21 responses so far

21 Responses to “The Great Rollercoaster Ride”

1. Jen on the Edgeon 23 Mar 2010 at 1:18 am

I understand this stress. Ugh. I know it sucks now, but keep your eye on the endgame, which is living together with Mr. Hot 24/7.

Does the new place have a guest room? ;-)
    Jen on the Edge´s last blog ..Solutions for unknown problems My ComLuv Profile

2. Shaniaon 23 Mar 2010 at 1:18 am

Firstly, congrats on the new digs!

You’ve probably already considered this, but if you can’t get what you want for your house, why not rent it? Yes, it sucks being a landlord (surely there’s a better term?) but it’s money coming in and there are a LOT of people who can’t buy a home now and HAVE to rent. Hire a realtor to handle it and move on up! (cue Jefferson’s theme song)
    Shania´s last blog ..Welcome Home! My ComLuv Profile

3. Jennyon 23 Mar 2010 at 2:30 am

Hold on. you will get a deduction…BIG TIME..and maybe you will be happier together (no brainer) but sad to leave.

We live in a brand new house and are underwater…screwed. I think you need to GO. Time to let go. You will not have to worry about it.

I don’t know, just trying to see the positive, when normally I am not a positive chica.

Chicago will make you happy.

4. Amberon 23 Mar 2010 at 2:36 am

Selling a house SUCKS, but once you are in your new one it’s all worth it.

5. Kim (frogpondsrock)on 23 Mar 2010 at 4:44 am

Selling a house is supposed to be one of the most stressful things that you can do. x Kim
    Kim (frogpondsrock)´s last blog ..Announcing the winner. YAY. My ComLuv Profile

6. Tulion 23 Mar 2010 at 1:02 pm

I’m so glad that you found a place to live in Chicago. I’m not sure how you’ve done it for so long…the commute has got to be draining. But at least there’s an end in sight.
    Tuli´s last blog ..Origins My ComLuv Profile

7. Shellyon 23 Mar 2010 at 1:10 pm

Awww, that sucks! But I know you guys NEED to be together. I can totally understand that. : )
    Shelly´s last blog ..Small Rant My ComLuv Profile

8. Violeton 23 Mar 2010 at 1:53 pm

I am finding in my own life that letting go is the best way to decrease the stress that comes along with wanting things to go *my* way. I am happier and calmer when I remind myself that things WILL work out even if I don’t try so hard to control them.

Let go and throw your hands up in the air. The ride is way more exhilarating that way.

I am so excited for you and Mr. Hot – new digs, new city, same old beautiful love. Makes me smile.
    Violet´s last blog ..It’s proud I am My ComLuv Profile

9. green girl in Wisconsinon 23 Mar 2010 at 2:38 pm

Have you hired your own home inspector to give you the all-clear? I hear that’s preferable than having the buyer bring theirs in. They tend to be kinder.
    Happy news about the new place, though! That’s HALF the battle!
    green girl in Wisconsin´s last blog ..fortune or fate, either way, life can be fabulous My ComLuv Profile

10. Boxeron 23 Mar 2010 at 4:10 pm

We recently sold my MIL’s house… built in the 50’s, she had lived there 15 years and really did very little maintence. I feel your pain. We got “lucky” because a contractor bought the house and waived the inspections. We took less because I would have been writing this very same post if we hadn’t. Hang in there. You are moving towards a very wonderful new life. I think you’re brave and cool and stuff. Truly.
    Boxer´s last blog ..This Week My ComLuv Profile

11. Mikeon 23 Mar 2010 at 6:21 pm

Just wanted to say welcome to Chicago.
    Mike´s last blog ..My Attempt at Cooking Mexican Rice My ComLuv Profile

12. magpieon 23 Mar 2010 at 6:41 pm

Good luck with your house. That must really be hard, trying to sell…
    magpie´s last blog ..Out of the Mouths of Babes My ComLuv Profile

13. Liz J in Central Illinoison 23 Mar 2010 at 8:52 pm

Having moved to our new digs just over 3 years ago, and knowing what we went through to get our other place sold – - I feel your pain. Really I do.

Hang in there, Ree. It will all work out and be worth it in the long run!
    Liz J in Central Illinois´s last blog ..Grace In Small Things: 12/2010 My ComLuv Profile

14. zelzeeon 23 Mar 2010 at 10:58 pm

Congrats on your new place! Everything will work out…..it’s that sucky part inbetween that can be awful!
    hang in there………………..
    zelzee´s last blog ..ROAD TRIP My ComLuv Profile

15. Krissaon 24 Mar 2010 at 1:22 am

Oh bless your heart, Ree. I am so sorry that the current housing market is being so difficult. Those rat bastards don’t know anything. Invest in new paint, at least that’s something you and Mr. Hot can do easily. and pare down everything that’s not completely necessary. If you can fit it into your budget, new floor covering is good.
    Whatever, spend the least amount possible to get the best return.
    Watch some HGTV, if you get the chance.
    Krissa´s last blog ..Bowels aren’t the only things moving around here. My ComLuv Profile

16. talinaon 24 Mar 2010 at 3:16 am

Sounds like a similar place… Some things do suck but only because new and greater things are on the way.

Chicago? Super exciting and closer to us too. I am so excited for you and can’t wait to follow the progress of your move and new stage in life.

17. Julieon 25 Mar 2010 at 2:50 am

Yea I am with you on the hold on tight and try not to puke thing.
    It’s been a wild ride. I just want to get off already :(

Congrats on the new house. Can’t wait to hear more!
    Julie´s last blog ..2:00AM My ComLuv Profile

18. Hyphen Mamaon 25 Mar 2010 at 3:13 am

Oh, huge bummer! I can’t even imagine. I do like the “rent” idea somebody else threw out. At least until the housing crisis picks back up and you can sell for a higher percentage of what you paid. UGH. Sorry you have to go through this.
    Hyphen Mama´s last blog ..If you want to become a square, just have a daughter… My ComLuv Profile

19. Red Hamsteron 25 Mar 2010 at 8:16 pm

I’m glad you’ve found a vibrant place where you and Mr. Hot can get your lives together again. Your marriage is more important than anything.

It’s a shame that anything.whatsoever.having.to.do.with.real.estate so totally sucks. And “normal wear and tear” on something that existed in 1972 isn’t acceptable anymore? (looking in mirror) Yikes!
    Red Hamster´s last blog ..Really Wheel-worthy Wednesday My ComLuv Profile

20. Kelleyon 26 Mar 2010 at 10:01 am

breathe and drink.

In that order.

21. jeanon 27 Mar 2010 at 3:28 am

I understand some of what you are going through. We wanted to move but once we discovered what it would cost to make our current home “sellable”, we decided to stay put. Now we are considering tearing it down and putting up a modular home in it’s place. I’m hoping that the money tree we planted last year will start producing quickly. I’m not holding my breath.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS