Mar 31 2010

My Dear Son

Published by Ree at 5:52 am under Shortman

He calls me every Tuesday night as he’s walking back from his on-campus job. He finishes at 10, heads over to get a late night snack from one of the places near his dorm and phones to fill me in on his classes and what drunk co-eds he’s escorted around (he works for the campus security department and makes sure that no one walks alone at night). Tonight was no different.

I got a 99% on my last Music Appreciation paper.

I got a B on my Sociology paper.

I had to escort a blind girl today and carry her Braille typewriter between Building A and Building B – it weighed a ton!

Inevitably, the conversation turns as he hears me yawn. (Figuring he’ll catch me in a moment of weakness.)

I need you to fix my Mudhens jacket. The elastic at the bottom is broken.

Can you approve my housing application for next year? I need to put down a $200 deposit and they won’t take it out of my student account.

Tonight, though, it was the question that I’ve been dreading.

So, about this summer? I’m going to take math and philosophy, but since I’m going to be living at GrammandGrampa’s house, I’ll need a car.

He knows, I’m sure, by the silence that I’m digesting this info. Not that we haven’t talked about it, but I’m very sure that MY view of the kind of car he “needs” is different than his view.

Don’t you think the Magnum we had was safe and reliable?

It was, I agree. It was also a gas guzzler. And far bigger, faster, and more expensive than I had envisioned getting for him to make his way the 8 miles back and forth from MomandDad’s to campus. I had my sights set on something like a Honda. Used. And slow. Sigh.

—- I have a feeling this won’t be the last Tuesday evening I fall asleep dreaming of cars. —-

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [Facebook] [Technorati] [Google] [StumbleUpon] add to kirtsyAjax CommentLuv Enabled 3ffa54da9abe041067d6629d568410a5

12 responses so far

12 Responses to “My Dear Son”

1. Shellyon 31 Mar 2010 at 1:25 pm

HAHAHA!! I love how he waits until you’re tired to ask for things. Smart kid!

And yes, the cars I envision for my children are WAY different from what they will envision for themselves.
    Shelly´s last blog ..40 Things My ComLuv Profile

2. AFon 31 Mar 2010 at 2:14 pm

So… are you saying here that you did not have a Porsche 911 Carrera in mind then?
    AF´s last blog ..I Haven’t Blogged A Lot Recently My ComLuv Profile

3. green girl in Wisconsinon 31 Mar 2010 at 3:11 pm

Oh, what a sweet thing that you have your talks, though.
    I keep telling my sons “you’ll have ACCESS to a car when you need one.”
    green girl in Wisconsin´s last blog ..keeping my albatross My ComLuv Profile

4. Shaniaon 31 Mar 2010 at 3:49 pm

8 miles? Vespa.
    Shania´s last blog ..Welcome Home! My ComLuv Profile

5. Krissaon 31 Mar 2010 at 9:24 pm

Hah! I just posted about Keelan’s new car. A little, bitty, four cylinder VW bug. Cute as can be and the thing is that it needed a spare tire. So John and I are looking at them and he wants to get one that’s speed rated since the other tires that came on it are speed rated. I looked at him like he was nuts, (which, by the way, he is). FOUR CYLINDERS.
    Krissa´s last blog ..The long awaited Henrietta Update My ComLuv Profile

6. Rachel ~ Southern Fairytaleon 31 Mar 2010 at 9:45 pm

Awe.
    I love that he calls you every night. Such a sweetheart.

My first car.. was a 91 Tracker Convertible. BAsically, death on wheels.. but damn, it was fun ;-)

Let’s not talk cars ;-) LOL.

Poor Mama.. HI I MISS YOU xoxoox

7. charlotteon 31 Mar 2010 at 10:34 pm

I’m with Shania. Vespa!

Or maybe a Geo Metro? That’s a Vespa in wolf’s clothing.
    charlotte´s last blog ..Time warp? My ComLuv Profile

8. klcrabon 31 Mar 2010 at 10:51 pm

I am really dreading that conversation, it was hard enough just getting to the point where I knew he was allowed to drive.

So far- the Dodge minivan is sufficient- old slow and definitely not cool.

9. Fannieon 01 Apr 2010 at 3:19 pm

The Daughters drive ancient Hondas. And if they don’t like it they’re keeping it to themselves. Because they know if they bitched they’d have, oh I don’t know, NOTHING!
    Fannie´s last blog ..Excusified My ComLuv Profile

10. amandaon 03 Apr 2010 at 12:25 pm

Wow, I just can’t imagine being there, baby away from home.
    amanda´s last blog ..In another’s eyes My ComLuv Profile

11. Bama Cherylon 04 Apr 2010 at 3:18 pm

Our first daughter had a Gremlin named Howard that was poop beige. By the time it died, the driver’s and passenger’s doors wouldn’t close and had toggle bolts on them. She had to climb through the hatch in the back to get in. She could get around, but barely.

Two of our youngest daughter’s early cars was a Hyundai when they barely topped 30 miles an hour and fell apart regularly. About the only time I’ve really heard my husband swear. The second was an ancient Mercury Grand Marquis. As big as a boat and drove like a couch with sketchy springs. Great car. Even if something hit her, she’d never know.

Good luck with the car, Ree! The Vespa idea isn’t bad…
    Bama Cheryl´s last blog ..Open Letter To Margie My ComLuv Profile

12. Kelleyon 06 Apr 2010 at 9:31 am

Just remind him to not fall for any of those campus floosies.

He is promised to my daughter.

And you are promised to me.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS